Registering as an individual BAS agent
You must be registered with us to provide BAS services for a fee or other reward.
If your application for registration is approved, your registration period will be for at least three years.
Requirements for registration
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to apply.
- You must be a fit and proper person.
- You must satisfy the qualification and experience requirements.
- You must maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance cover that meets our requirements.
- Complete an online application and provide supporting documents.
|Checklist - information you need to apply to register|
Note: If you gained your qualifications through a process of recognition of prior learning (RPL), you need to provide a Statement of assurance from an appropriately qualified officer of the course provider.
You must pay the application fee in full when you apply for registration:
- $100 – if you are carrying on a business as a BAS agent
- $50 – if you are not carrying on a business as a BAS agent.
For information on making a payment refer How to pay.
After lodging your application
We will advise you after the decision is made to either grant or reject your application for registration. We aim to process complete applications within 30 days of receiving them.
If your application is granted:
- details of your registration will appear on the TPB register
- you must advise us of how you meet our professional indemnity insurance requirements within 14 days of being notified that you are registered
- we will notify the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that you are now registered with us. You can then contact the ATO to arrange access to their online services, such as the BAS Agent Portal.
If your application is rejected:
- we will advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- we will notify the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
For more information refer to:
- Fit and proper
- Qualifications and experience for BAS agents
- How to pay
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Change of BAS agent details or circumstances
- Professional indemnity insurance for BAS agents
- Continuing professional education for BAS agents
Last modified: 31 May 2017