Help with using the TPB Register
The TPB Register contains the names of all tax agents, BAS agents and tax (financial) advisers (collectively referred to as tax practitioners) that are currently registered with us, including those whose registration has been suspended. The TPB Register also includes the names of certain deregistered tax practitioners.
The register is updated daily.
A full dataset of the TPB Register is available to download from www.data.gov.au
Tax practitioner details appearing on the TPB Register
The following information is displayed on the TPB Register for each tax practitioner:
- legal name of tax practitioners
- the practice or trading name of tax practitioners
- the registration type
- whether they are registered as a tax agent, BAS agent or tax (financial) adviser
- if it is an individual, partnership or company registration
- the TPB registration number of the tax practitioner
- business address
- registration status – such as whether they are registered, suspended or terminated
- registration date – the date the tax practitioner was first registered (as this practitioner type)
- registration expiry date
- any conditions of registration
- period and reasons for suspension of registration
- any relevant sanctions we have imposed
- date of and reason for termination and non-application period (if applicable)
- any professional association affiliations.
Address change or suppression
The Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 (TASR) set out what information needs to be recorded on the TPB Register, and this includes contact details.
Tax practitioners can contact us to request their address appearing on the TPB Register to be:
- changed to a PO Box, providing the special circumstances to support this change
- suppressed for safety reasons (for example, where there is a Court Order in place), providing evidence to support their request.
We may place one or more conditions on a tax practitioner's registration. A condition limits the subject area in respect of which the tax practitioner may provide tax agent services, which includes BAS services and tax (financial) advice services.
For a list of conditions we have imposed, refer to Conditions of registration.
Sanctions, other than a written caution, we impose on a tax practitioner will be kept on the TPB Register for the longer of:
- 12 months starting on the day on which the sanction is imposed, and
- the period during which the sanction has effect.
The reasons for the sanction will also be included.
For more information about the types of sanction we may impose, refer to Sanctions.
Tax practitioners that have had their registration terminated will be kept on the TPB Register for 12 months.
For these deregistered tax practitioners, the TPB Register will include the following additional details:
- the date of termination
- any non-application period imposed
- the reason/s for the termination, with a link to further details about the reason/s, if applicable.
The professional association information that appears on the TPB Register has been provided by the registered tax practitioner. You are encouraged to make your own independent enquiries to verify this information (for example, you may wish to contact the listed association(s)).
Professional associations may be accredited by us as a recognised tax agent, BAS agent or tax (financial) adviser association if they meet certain requirements in the TASR.
For the list of associations that we have accredited refer to Recognised professional associations.
Last modified: 22 February 2021