Help with using the TPB Register
The TPB Register contains the names of all tax agents, BAS agents and tax (financial) advisers (collectively referred to as tax practitioners) that are currently registered with us, including those whose registration has been suspended. The TPB Register also includes the names of certain deregistered tax practitioners.
The register is updated daily at 5am (AEST).
A full dataset of the TPB Register is available to download from www.data.gov.au
- Use a wildcard search if you're not sure of a practitioner's name or how it is spelled. A wildcard search uses an asterix * (with no space) to replace a word or letters. For example, a search for will* returns all results including williams, wills, willson etc.
- To display all records on the TPB Register, hit the space bar three times in the search field and select 'Search'. You can also display all records using the 'Clear search' button to reset your search.
Tax practitioner details appearing on the TPB Register
The following information is displayed on the TPB Register for each tax practitioner:
- the registration type
- whether they are registered as a tax agent, BAS agent or tax (financial) adviser
- if it is an individual, partnership or company registration
- business address
- registration status
- registration date – the date the tax practitioner was first registered (as this practitioner type)
- registration expiry date
- any conditions of registration
- any suspensions of registration
- any relevant sanctions we have imposed
- whether the tax practitioner has been terminated
- any professional association affiliations.
The Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 set out what information needs to be recorded on the TPB Register, and this includes contact details.
Practitioners can contact us to request for the address which appears on the TPB Register be changed to a PO Box, providing the special circumstances to support this change.
Practitioners can request their address be suppressed on the TPB Register for safety reasons (for example, where there is an Apprehended Violence Order in place). Evidence needs to be provided to support these cases.
Conditions of registration
We may place one or more conditions on a tax practitioner's registration. A condition limits the subject area in respect of which the tax practitioner may provide tax agent services, which includes BAS services and tax (financial) advice services.
For a list of conditions we have imposed, refer to Conditions of registration.
Sanctions, other than a written caution, we impose on a tax practitioner will be kept on the TPB Register for the longer of:
- 12 months starting on the day on which the sanction is imposed, and
- the period during which the sanction has effect.
For more information, refer to Sanctions.
Tax practitioners that have had their registration terminated (cancelled), other than as a result of a surrender of registration, will be kept on the TPB Register for 12 months.
For these deregistered tax practitioners, the TPB Register will include the following details:
- the name of the practitioner
- the contact details of the practitioner
- the date of effect of the termination of the practitioner
- the reason for the termination of the practitioner’s registration.
Tax practitioners are required to disclose any professional affiliation they have with a professional association.
Professional associations may be accredited by us as a recognised tax agent, BAS agent or tax (financial) adviser association if they meet certain requirements in the Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 (TASR).
For lists of associations that we have accredited refer to Recognised professional associations.
It is important to note that the professional association information that appears on the TPB Register has been provided by the registered tax practitioner. You are encouraged to make your own independent enquiries to verify this information (for example, you may wish to contact the listed association(s)).
Last modified: 11 July 2018