Collection of personal information
When you email us:
- we will record your email address
- we will only use your email address for the purpose that you provided it
- your email address will not be added to a mailing list unless you have requested this
- we will not use your email address for any other purpose
- we will not disclose your email address without your consent.
Other personal information we collect, for example through the use of an online form, will only be:
- collected by lawful and fair means
- used for a lawful purpose
- collected with your consent.
Using our website
Cookies are pieces of information that a website can transfer to an individual's computer hard drive for record keeping. Cookies can make websites easier to use by storing information about your preferences on a particular website. The information remains on your computer after the Internet session finishes.
The first time you visit our website one cookie will be stored on your computer. On each return visit the system checks if there is a www.tpb.gov.au cookie on your computer. If so, it notes its presence and records your visit as a previous visitor. This cookie is stored permanently unless you choose to delete it. The information is used by us to help improve our website by understanding how it is used. There is no attempt made to identify individual users in any way.
On each website visit a session cookie is temporarily placed on your computer, which is used to maintain navigation information during your visit. These session cookies are deleted from your computer at the end of each Internet session.
There are many different types of scams – online, phone, mail and face-to-face. Online scams, such as email 'phishing' scams are on the rise and are designed to trick you into giving away your money, passwords and personal details, such as your tax file number (TFN).
From time to time, we will send you emails, SMS or post messages on our official social media profiles promoting new services or alerting you to important information.
We will never send an email requesting you to confirm, update or disclose confidential details, like your name, date of birth, address or passwords.
For more information on:
- scams, refer to the website run by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commissioner www.scamwatch.gov.au
- cyber security risks and simple steps to protect your personal and financial information online, refer to the website hosted by the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy www.staysmartonline.gov.au