The time taken to process a new application or a renewal can vary depending on the individual circumstances of each applicant.
We are required by law to make a decision on a new registration application within six months of receiving a complete application, otherwise the application is deemed to be rejected.
We generally aim to process all applications (new and renewal) within 30 days of receiving a complete application. However, when there is a high volume of applications, it may take up to 60 days for a new or renewal application to be processed.
Generally delays in processing applications occur due to:
- applicants not providing all the required information with the application
- the complexity of business and partnership structures
- issues of fitness and propriety.
Statistics about our application processing are available from Registration and compliance processing
You must lodge a renewal application online at least 30 days before your registration expires. You can check your registration expiry date on the TPB Register so you know when your registration is due for renewal.
We will send you a reminder email at 70 days and then again at 45 days before your registration expiry date (if you have not already lodged your application by then).
If you have submitted your renewal application on time, you remain registered until we have made a decision and notified you of the outcome.
An application is complete if you provide all the information required in the application.
Individual applicants need to:
- provide complete qualification records, including academic transcripts and course outlines (if required)
- provide evidence of relevant experience
- pay the application fee
- provide details of your membership with a recognised professional association (if required).
Company and partnership applicants need to:
- pay the application fee
- provide details of the registered individuals that form the sufficient number to provide tax agent, BAS or tax (financial) advice services to a competent standard and to carry out supervisory arrangements
- provide personal details of directors and partners who are not registered tax practitioners (if any).
If your application is incomplete, we will ask you to provide any missing information or documentation. You should respond in a timely manner with any information we request to complete your application.
If we do not receive your response within the requested time and you have lodged:
- a new application for registration, it may be deemed invalid. We may decide to close an incomplete application and not progress it any further. This means you would have to complete a new application if you still want to register.
- a renewal application, it may be referred to the Board to be considered as is, and any missing information or documentation could affect the decision made by the Board.
- If you're already registered or have a TPB account, go to My Profile and enter your username and password to log into your TPB account. If you're unsure or have forgotten your TPB username or password, you can reset these on My Profile. For further information refer to My Profile username and password resets.
- Use the latest version of your preferred internet browser to complete our online forms.
- Enter date in the correct format (dd/mm/yyyy) on your application form - for example 01/07/2010.
- When attaching electronic copies of documents to your application form, accepted formats are Word, JPEG, PNG or PDF and up to 10MB for each attachment.
- Pay the correct application fee and enter the payment reference number in the relevant field before you submit your form. The fee amount and payment details are included in the application form.
- Don't enter a dollar ($) sign when entering the fee amount in your application form as this will create an error message and you will not be able to submit your form.
Once your application is received, we check that:
- the application has been fully completed
- all supporting documentation has been provided.
We conduct a preliminary assessment of a complete application to determine suitability for registration. If we require additional information, we will contact you for further information. Once all the required information is received, your application will be considered by the Board.
When your application has been decided, we will email you the outcome to grant or reject your application. If your application is rejected, we will also advise you of the reasons for our decision and your rights of appeal.
Last modified: 28 July 2020