Registering as an individual tax agent
You must be registered with us to provide tax agent services for a fee or other reward.
If your application for registration is approved, you will be registered for a period of at least three years.
Requirements for registration
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to apply.
- You must be a fit and proper person
- You must satisfy the qualification and experience requirements.
- You maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance that meets our requirements.
- Complete an online application and provide all supporting documents.
|Checklist - required application information|
For further details and a list of other acceptable POI documents, refer to Proof of identity checks for tax practitioners
You can use our online tool to check your qualifications. If you assess or have previously assessed your qualifications using this tool, enter your enquiry number in the form to import the details you previously provided.
The application fee is $675 and not subject to GST. You must pay the application fee in full when you apply for registration.
Payment details, including your reference number are provided in the online application form.
The application fee is subject to a consumer price index adjustment on 1 July each year.
After lodging your application
We will advise you after the decision is made to either grant or reject your application for registration. We aim to process complete applications within 30 days of receiving them.
If your application is granted:
- details of your registration will appear on the TPB register
- you must advise us of how you meet our professional indemnity insurance requirements within 14 days of being notified that you are registered
- we will notify the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that you are now registered with us. You can then contact the ATO to arrange access to their online services, such as the Tax Agent Portal.
If your application is rejected:
- we will advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- we will notify the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
For more information refer to:
- Fit and proper
- Qualifications and experience for tax agents
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Change of tax agent details or circumstances
- Professional indemnity insurance for tax agents
- Continuing professional education for tax agents
Last modified: 29 October 2018