Registering as an individual tax agent
You must be registered with us to provide tax agent services for a fee or other reward.
If your application for registration is approved, you will be registered for a period of at least three years.
Requirements for registration
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to apply.
- You must be a fit and proper person.
- You must satisfy the qualification and experience requirements.
- You maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance that meets our requirements.
- Complete an online application and provide all supporting documents.
|Checklist - information you need to apply to register|
Electronic copies of certificates, academic transcripts and course outlines, as required, to show you have completed the required qualifications.
Statement/s of relevant experience from a supervising tax agent or employer to demonstrate you have the required amount of experience.
Details of voting membership for any recognised tax agent association, if applicable.
You must pay the application fee in full when you apply for registration:
- $500 – if you are carrying on a business as a tax agent
- $250 – if you are not carrying on a business as a tax agent.
For information on making a payment refer How to pay
After lodging your application
We will advise you after the decision is made to either grant or reject your application for registration. We aim to process complete applications within 30 days of receiving them.
If your application is granted:
- details of your registration will appear on the TPB register
- you must advise us of how you meet our professional indemnity insurance requirements within 14 days of being notified that you are registered
- we will notify the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that you are now registered with us. You can then contact the ATO to arrange access to their online services, such as the Tax Agent Portal.
If your application is rejected:
- we will advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- we will notify the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
For more information refer to: