Registering as a company or partnership tax agent
Your company or partnership must be registered with us to provide tax agent services for a fee or other reward.
If your application for registration is approved, your company or partnership will be registered for a period of at least three years.
Requirements for registration
- Each director or individual partner must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each director or individual partner must be a fit and proper person.
- The company or partnership must maintain, or be able to maintain once registered, professional indemnity (PI) insurance that meets our requirements.
- The company or partnership must have a sufficient number of registered individual tax agents to provide tax agent services and supervision on behalf of the entity.
If any individuals within a company or partnership need to register as an individual tax agent, refer to Registering as an individual tax agent.
- The company must not be under external administration.
- The company must not have been convicted of a serious offence involving fraud or dishonesty during the previous five years.
- If there is a company partner in your partnership:
- each director of the company partner must be at least 18 years of age
- each director of the company partner must be a fit and proper person
- the company partner must not be under external administration
- the company partner must not have been convicted of a serious taxation offence or an offence involving fraud or dishonesty during the previous five years.
Applying for registration
You must complete an online application and provide the supporting documentation.
Checklist – information you need to apply to register
The current application fee is $675. You must pay the application fee in full when you apply to register. The fee is not subject to GST.
Payment details, including your reference number are provided in the online application form.
The application fee is subject to a consumer price index adjustment on 1 July each year.
After lodging your application
After the decision is made to either grant or reject your application we will advise you of the outcome. We aim to process complete applications within 30 days of receiving them.
If your application is granted:
- details of your company or partnership registration will appear on the TPB register
- you must advise us of how the company or partnership meets our professional indemnity insurance requirements within 14 days of being notified that it is registered
- we will notify the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that your company or partnership is now registered with us. You can then contact the ATO to arrange access to their online services, such as Online services for agents and the Tax Agent Portal.
If your application is rejected:
- we will advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- we will notify the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
For more information refer to:
- Terms explained - Sufficient number, Supervisory arrangements
- Supervisory arrangements and supervision and control
Last modified: 20 March 2019