Register as an individual tax (financial) adviser
If you are an Australian financial services (AFS) licensee or a representative providing tax (financial) advice services for a fee or other reward, you must be registered with us.
‘Representative’ is defined in the Corporations Act 2001 and includes:
- an authorised representative of the licensee,
- an employee or director of the licensee,
- an employee or director of a related body corporate of the licensee, or
- any other person acting on behalf of the licensee.
There are two registration options available:
- Transitional option (available until 30 June 2017)
- Standard option.
Choosing between transitional and standard options
You should consider the qualifications and experience you currently have to determine which registration option is right for you.
An overview of the qualifications and experience requirements for registering as an individual tax (financial) adviser is provided below.
*Available until 30 June 2017
Under the transitional option, you need to demonstrate sufficient experience to be able to provide tax (financial) advice services to a competent standard.
Sufficient experience is generally the equivalent of 18 months or longer of full time experience that is related to the provision of tax (financial) advice service or tax advice given in the context of financial advice.
Under the standard option, you need to meet all of the standard registration requirements, including the qualification and experience requirements.
- Frequently asked questions - tax (financial) advisers
- Qualifications and experience for tax (financial) advisers