Go to top of page

Notify us of changes of tax agent details or circumstances

Change of tax agent details or circumstances

Under the Tax Agent Services Act 2009 (TASA), you must notify us of certain changes in details or circumstances.

You must notify us in writing (either electronic or paper) within 30 days on which you become, or ought to have become, aware of any changes to your:

  • contact details
  • practice structure
  • legal or trading name
  • circumstances relevant to your registration
  • changes to professional association membership.

Change in contact details

Change in practice structure

Change to legal or trading name

Change to circumstances

Change to professional association membership

Change in contact details

You can change the following contact details online using My Profile:

  • email address
  • phone and fax numbers
  • business address/es
  • postal address (for correspondence and notices).

We will pass on your updated contact details to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The ATO will update your practice contact details, email address, mobile number and certain client details. You may still need to contact the ATO to update details for some broadcasts or email notifications. For further information refer to Changing your details on the ATO website.

Change in practice structure

If you change how your practice is structured you must notify us. You may also need to apply for registration of the new business structure with us. 

For more information refer to Change in practice structure.

Change to legal or trading name

You must notify us of any changes to your legal or trading name. We need to see evidence of the change such as a certificate of trading name or marriage certificate.

Email enquirymanagement [at] tpb.gov.au (subject: Change%20to%20legal%20or%20trading%20name) providing:

  • your registration number
  • details of name changes
  • evidence of the name change.

Change to circumstances

You must notify us if:

Email enquirymanagement [at] tpb.gov.au (subject: Change%20to%20circumstances) providing details of changes in your circumstances.

Change to professional association membership

If you relied on being a voting member of a recognised tax agent association to gain your registration as a tax agent, you must notify us if your membership status changes or your membership ceases.

Email enquirymanagement [at] tpb.gov.au (subject: Changes%20to%20professional%20association%20membership) providing details of changes to your membership. 

If you did not rely on your voting membership with a recognised tax agent association to gain your registration and your membership details change, you should update your membership details in My Profile