You can apply for compensation if:

  • our actions give rise to a legal liability (for example, negligence)

  • you have financial losses caused by our defective administration.

Any individual, company or other organisation can apply for compensation. You can do this yourself or through a third party, such as a lawyer.

Your application should include reasons as to why you consider you should be compensated as well as any relevant supporting documentation.

If we consider there is no legal right to compensation, we can consider whether you should be compensated under the Scheme for Compensation for Detriment caused by Defective Administration (CDDA Scheme). Further information about the CDDA Scheme is available on the Department of Finance website.

If you have a compensation enquiry or wish to make an application for compensation, email or write to:

Tax Practitioners Board
Legal Unit
GPO Box 1620

Last modified: 21 August 2023