Registering as an individual tax (financial) adviser – standard option
From 1 January 2016, the standard registration option is available to Australian financial services (AFS) licensees and representatives who wish to be registered as a tax (financial) adviser.
Requirements for a standard registration
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be a fit and proper person.
- You maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance that meets our requirements.
- You must meet the qualification and relevant experience requirements. This includes that you are, or have been, an AFS licensee or a representative of an AFS licensee within the 90 days preceding your application.
Applying for registration
You must complete an online application and provide the supporting documentation.
|Checklist - information you need to apply to register|
You must pay the application fee in full before you submit your application for registration:
- $400 – if you are carrying on a business as a tax (financial) adviser
- $200 – if you are not carrying on a business as a tax (financial) adviser.
After lodging your application
We will advise you after the decision is made to either grant or reject your application.
If your application is granted, you will be registered for at least three years from the date we make our decision. We will:
- advise you of any condition(s) we impose on your registration
- include details of your registration on the TPB Register
- notify the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) of our decision to grant your registration.
If your application is rejected, we will:
- advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- notify ASIC and the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
- Qualifications and experience for tax (financial) advisers
- Relevant experience for tax (financial) advisers
- Fit and proper
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Professional indemnity insurance for tax (financial) advisers
- Changes of tax (financial) adviser details or circumstances
- Continuing professional education for tax (financial) advisers
Last modified: 22 December 2015