Go to top of page

Register as a tax (financial) adviser

Register as a tax (financial) adviser

All Australian financial services licenses and representatives who provide tax (financial) advice services for a fee or other reward must be registered with us.

‘Representative’ is defined in the Corporations Act 2001 and includes:

  • an authorised representative of the licensee
  • an employee or director of the licensee
  • an employee or director of a related body corporate of the licensee, or
  • any other person acting on behalf of the licensee.

There are two registration options available:

  • Transitional option available until 30 June 2017
  • Standard option.

Transitional option

Under the transitional registration option that is available until 30 June 2017, individuals, companies and partnerships need to demonstrate sufficient experience to be able to provide tax (financial) advice services to a competent standard.

We consider the equivalent of at least 18 months of full-time experience would generally satisfy the ‘sufficient experience’ requirement.  Further this experience:

  • must be related to the provision of tax (financial) advice, or tax advice given in the context of financial advice
  • can be accrued at any time before a registration application is submitted to us
  • does not necessarily need to be a continuous period of experience.

Registering as a tax (financial) adviser – transitional option

Standard option

Under the standard registration option, you need to meet all of the standard registration requirements. Individuals must meet the qualifications and relevant experience requirements, and companies and partnerships must meet the sufficient number requirement.

Registering as an individual tax (financial) adviser – standard option

Registering as a company or partnership tax (financial) adviser – standard option


Last modified: 8 June 2017