Register as a company or partnership tax (financial) adviser
All Australian financial services (AFS) licensees and their representatives who provide tax (financial) advice services for a fee or other reward must be registered with us.
- an authorised representative of the licensee which may be:
- an individual
- a body corporate (or a corporate authorised representative)
- a partnership
- a group of individuals and/or bodies corporate that are the trustees of a trust
- an employee or director of the licensee
- an employee or director of a related body corporate of the licensee, or
- any other person acting on behalf of the licensee.
Requirements for registration
Each individual partner or director must be at least 18 years old.
Each individual partner or director must be a fit and proper person.
The company or partnership must maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance that meets our requirements.
The company applicant or company partner must not be under external administration.
The company or company partner must not have been convicted of a serious offence involving fraud or dishonesty during the previous five years.
- The company or partnership must have a sufficient number of individuals registered as tax agents or tax (financial) advisers to provide tax (financial) advice services to a competent standard, and to carry out supervisory arrangements.
Applying for registration
You must complete an online application and provide the supporting documentation.
|Checklist - information you need to apply to register|
You must pay the application fee in full before you submit the application for registration:
- $400 – if you are carrying on a business as a tax (financial) adviser
- $200 – if you are not carrying on a business as a tax (financial) adviser.
For information on making a payment refer How to pay your tax (financial) adviser application fee.
After lodging your application
We will advise you after the decision is made to either grant or reject your application.
If your application is granted, you will be registered for at least three years from the date we make our decision. We will:
- advise you of any condition(s) we impose on your registration
- include registration details on the TPB Register
- notify the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that the company or partnership is registered with us.
If your application is rejected, we will:
- advise you of the reasons for our decision and of your appeal rights
- notify ASIC and the ATO of our decision to reject your application.
- Fit and proper
- Professional indemnity insurance for tax (financial) advisers
- Changes of tax (financial) adviser details or circumstances
- Sufficient number requirement for partnership and company registered tax (financial) advisers TPB(I) 23/2014
Last modified: 1 July 2017