Tax Practitioners Board visits Perth for the first time
The recently formed Tax Practitioners Board will be holding its monthly Board meeting, for the first time in Perth, Western Australia, on Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 of June.
The Board consists of 11 members from across the country including Chair, Dale Boucher and Secretary, Mark Maskell. The Board will visit Perth to consult with tax practitioners and associations while undertaking usual Board business.
Mr Boucher said that it was a priority of the Board to meet in a different State over the next six months, ensuring consultation occurs with tax practitioners’ nationwide.
“The Board will meet, listen, learn and discuss local issues in each State, with key industry and professional association. We will also use this opportunity to provide up to date information on what the Board is doing.”
Key topics of discussion for the Board over the two days include:
- encouraging the community to ask whether their agent is registered
- creating awareness on the risks of using unregistered agents
- helping bookkeepers who provide a BAS service for a fee or reward to become registered
- publicising to bookkeepers the easy notification registration option which expires on 31 August 2010, and
- the Board’s ongoing role as the single, national, independent governing and regulatory body for tax practitioners.
What is the Tax Practitioners Board?
The Tax Practitioners Board was established on 1 March 2010. It replaces the previous State Tax Agents Boards in regulating tax agents and now BAS agents.
The benefits for both the community and agents with the introduction of this new regime include greater national consistency in administration and better consumer protection. The Board works as a single independent national body and is seeking to raise professional standards in the tax practitioner professions in the interests of the Australian community.
Mr Boucher will be meeting with local Perth media on Monday 28 June between 3-5pm. A photo opportunity of Mr Boucher and the Board will be available on Tuesday 29 June. If you would like further information or to set up a specific time to talk with Dale, please contact either Georgina Cotton on 02 6216 2518 or Cassy Baker on 03 9275 2442.
For more information on the Tax Practitioners Board visit www.tpb.gov.au
- Dale Boucher - Chair, Tax Practitioners Board dale.boucher [at] tpb.gov.au
- Mark Maskell - Secretary, Tax Practitioners Board mark.maskell [at] tpb.gov.au