Tax Practitioners Board actions roadmap for Consultative Forums
The Tax Practitioners Board (Board) held a Preliminary Consultative Forum with representatives from 13 professional associations on 20 January 2010. At the meeting stakeholders provided valuable input that is being used to map out consultative arrangements to ensure the successful transition to the new Tax Agent Services regime. The Board is currently preparing a draft Charter to be considered at the first formal meeting of the Board’s Consultative Forum, held in Melbourne on 9 March 2010.
The Board’s Chair, Mr Dale Boucher, said that “The intention of the Preliminary Consultative Forum was to determine how to establish an ongoing Consultative Forum. On behalf of the Board, I believe we met this aim and we look forward to consulting with stakeholders from the tax agent and BAS agent professions as we move into this new era.”
In addition to providing the professional associations with an overview of the work undertaken by the Board, details were also provided on the preliminary approach to:
- recognising business activity statement (BAS) agent and tax agent associations
- entry requirements, including qualifications, education and experience
- professional standards, including the Code of Professional Conduct and fitness and propriety
- notification processes for registration and re-registration, including the special transitional rules,and
- Board communication strategies, in particular for the bookkeeper professions.
A more detailed report of the preliminary consultative forum meeting is available on www.tpb.gov.au
Mr Boucher said that he was “pleased with the outcome of this Preliminary Consultative Forum as the meeting provided an excellent opportunity for both the Board and the professional associations to engage in a meaningful two way discussion.” Mr Boucher recognised that, “through this collaborative and consultative approach, the Board will be better placed to support tax agent and BAS agent professions transition into the new regime from 1 March 2010.”
For information on the new regime go to the Tax Practitioner Board website www.tpb.gov.au or contact:
- Dale Boucher - Chair, Tax Practitioners Board
- Geoff Robinson - Secretary, Tax Practitioners Board