Register as a tax (financial) adviser

All Australian financial services (AFS) licensees and their representatives who provide tax (financial) advice services for a fee or other reward must be registered with us.

Transitional option

Under the transitional registration option that is available until 30 June 2017, individuals, companies and partnerships need to demonstrate sufficient experience to be able to provide tax (financial) advice services to a competent standard.

Sufficient experience is generally the equivalent of 18 months or longer of full time experience that is related to the provision of a tax (financial) advice service or tax advice given in the context of financial advice.


Standard option

Under the standard registration option, you need to meet all of the standard registration requirements. Individuals must meet the qualifications and relevant experience requirements, and companies and partnerships must meet the sufficient number requirement.


Registering as an individual – transitional or standard?

If you are registering as an individual tax (financial) adviser, you should consider the qualifications and experience you currently have to determine which registration option is right for you.

An overview of the qualifications and experience requirements for registration for individuals is provided below.

Registering as an individual - transitional or standard?

*Available until 30 June 2017

Further information


Tax (financial) adviser policy documents:

Last modified: 22 June 2016